Friday, December 2, 2011

How can I become more confident in baseball?

I have some trouble performing in game situations in baseball, specifically hitting. I can hit well when just playing for fun, or in bp when i just swing at everything, but when I get up to the plate in a game, there seems to be something holding me back from swinging. I know if i can overcome this "barrier", I will get my hits since i have a level swing. Does anyone else suffer from this, and what can I do to gain some confidence at the plate?|||Take your time in the on deck circle very seriously. Swing when the pitch is coming to get the timing right. Also try closing your eyes, swinging, and imagine the ball to go somewhere in a gap or something. NOT a homerun. Once you get that hit your confidence will grow by itself. For the time being just keep telling yourself that you can do it and that you are the best player out there.|||I used to always feel pressured and nervous when i got up at back when i was younger. I never ever had a problem batting, but i still felt uncomfortable. One day i sat there watching the pitcher warming up, and thought what is the worst that can happen? i can strike out or groun out or pop out. Who cares it is all part of the game. It doesnt matter enjoy the game and who cares what people think. Do your best and have fun, have confidence and know that you can do it. "dont ever let the fear of striking out hold you back" -Babe Ruth





Best Answer?|||It starts in practice. Work on developing a good eye in practice and swing like you would in a game.





When I get in the box, I usually say "focus" to myself. Then you gotta remember to sit back on the ball and just go with the pitch. If you dont have a gameplan going up to bat, you'll be 0-2 real quick.|||Spend a bunch of time in the cage and hitting off tees. Learn where the strike zone is. Let the pitches come to you.|||This happened to me before. I would never swing the bat and I had all this potential to be great and help my team but I would never swing. So one year I just decided to swing. Remember you can't hit if you don't swing. I was just thinking, I am going to swing this year, that year I led the team in batting average and hits.


But the only way to over come this fear is just to work on your eye and learn the strike zone. Then pick your pitch and swing away.|||The best thing to do is just relax and have fun just think like you are playing with your friends. Because ththat'swhen you are doing your best. All the practice in the world won't do good if you can't just ignore everything else going on and just relax. Everything will come together eventually.





It's like a pitcher focusing on just throwing to the catcher and ignoring the batter. Everything is easier without the pressure but thats why you just have to go out and have fun. If you start getting in a slump or swing at a bad pitch don't get frustrated that just makes things worse.|||It sounds like you do not need to swing at everything in batting practice... Pick and choose the pitches you hit in batting practice is if you were in a game situation... That should give you the mind set as if you were in the game. Also during BP dont just soft toss all the time... have your best pitcher throw to you, have him change speeds and change pitches. Hitting is not just a physical part of the game its alot to do with the mental aspect. If you go up to the plate nervous and doubting your not going to get hits. Go up to the plate with confidence and you'll do fine... you'll get that confidence through a few good sessions in BP. Also suggest to your coach some live batting practice, but remember don't go up to the plate with the mindset that it is just practice think of it as a tryout for a major league team you dont want to swing at bad pitches you want to choose the right pitch. Also when I coached last summer I told my players its not about the hits or homeruns its about runners in scoring position. I would rather have a disciplined batter at the plate and get walked and have him in a scoring position. Don't sweat it it'll come just be patient at the plate and keep working on keeping your eye on the ball. My coach used to tell me he would tie fishing line to my head and to my gentials so everytime i pulled my head... well you get the point. Lots of repetitions in practice will give you muscle memory and then it will be second nature to you. But as all coaches say practice as you would do in a game!

No comments:

Post a Comment